2020 marked the 100th anniversary of geology at the LMU Munich.
Until 1920, geology and paleontology at the Ludwig-Maximilians University were included in one single institute. They shared the space with the State Collection of Geology and Paleontology (Staatssammlung für Geologie und Paläontologie), which was independent and had its own funding.
A private endowment made the founding of the "Institut für Allgemeine und Angewandte Geologie" (IAAG) on October 1, 1920, possible. The only full professor of geology and paleontology at the time, A. Rothpletz, enacted the founding of a new Chair along with a corresponding state collection. Of course, the endowment was not sufficient, and was lost during inflation. However, the Chair remained, and the State of Bavaria took over the institute.
Chair of Geology since 1920 (German version only)
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Erich Kaiser
1920 to 1934
Prof. Dr. Leopold Kölbl
1934 to 1941
Prof. Dr. Ernst Kraus
1941 to 1945
Prof. Dr. Albert Maucher
1946 to 1973
Prof. Dr. h.c. Klaus Schmidt
1973 to 1983
In 2002, the Institut für Allgemeine und Angewandte Geologie (IAAG) merged with the Institutes for Mineralogy, Crystallography, Geophysics, Paleontology, and Geography to form the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, one of the largest university research and teaching unit in the field of geosciences in Germany. Geography has since formed its own Department.
Since 2007, Prof. Dr. Anke M. Friedrich is Chair of Geology.