Research and Teaching in Active Tectonics and Neotectonics, Earthquake Geology, Geological Field Mapping and Field exploration, Geological Remote Sensing, Analysis of Sedimentary Basins.
Master's degree program of Geological Sciences, head of program
Munich GeoCenter, board member
2014 Chair of the International Section, Geological Society of America
- Analysis of tectonically active orogens, sedimentary basins and intraplate regions.
- Quantification of deformation, erosion and sedimentation rates ranging from scales of millimeter/years to kilometers/million years.
- Inversion of geological fault slip rates.
- Deformation mechanisms in tectonically active regions; relationship between earthquakes and volcanic centers.
- Large-scale vertical uplift and subsidence processes; coastal uplift and earthquake segmentation.
- 3D structural geometry and kinematics of sedimentary basins and evolving fault systems.
Tools and Methods
Regional geological synthesis, neotectonics, active tectonics, paleoseismology, structural geology and geochronology.
Field exploration geology, sedimentology and basin analysis, metamorphic geology, and geological remote sensing.
- 2012 - 2017: HGF Alliance: Remote Sensing and Earth System Dynamics. The HGF Alliance "Remote Sensing and Earth System Dynamics" aims at the development and evaluation of novel bio/geo-pysical information products derived from data acquired by a new generation of remote sensing satellites and their integration in earth system models for improving understanding and modelling ability of global environmental processes and ecosystem change. Project: "Geological context of seismically inactive, but geodetically active regions." One Postdoc: Simon Kübler (LMU Geology).
- since 2011: Dynamic Evolution of the North-Alpine Foreland Basin. (1 PhD student: Markus Hoffmann, 1 Master student: Florian Hofmann).
- since 2011: Mechanisms of strain release in the northern Basin and Range Province (western USA): relationship between faults, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and the growth of continental fault systems. Collaborators: Geoffrey King (IPG Paris), Steven Wesbousky (University of Nevada, Reno).
- since 2008: Earthquake segmentation and tectonic geomorphology of the Red Sea coast north of Quseir (Egypt) (1 PhD student: Mohamed El Khashab).
- since 2008: Vertical motion of Crete and implications for fault system dynamics and seismic hazards — based in integration of PSI-InSAR data, tectonic geomorphology, and geological data. In progress. ( One PhD student: Stefanie Rieger).
- 2004 - 2012: DFG Project: Dynamics of Active faulting in the Lower Rhine Graben, awarded to A.M. Friedrich (FR1693/1-1) and M.R. Strecker. Publications are in preparation, 1 PhD Student (Simon Kübler) defended in January 2013.
Baran, R., Friedrich, A. M., Schlunegger, F., 2014, The late Miocene to Holocene erosion pattern of the Alpine foreland basin reflects Eurasian slab unloading beneath the western Alps rather than global climate change; Lithosphere, v. 6, no. 2, 124 - 131.
Stein, S. and Friedrich A. M., 2014, Clearing the crystal ball; Astronomy and Geophysics; v. 55, no. 2., 2.11-2.17.
Prior to 2014:
Ballato, P., Uba, C. E., Landgraf, A., Strecker, M. R., Sudo, M., Stockli, D. F., Friedrich, A., and Tabatabaei, S. H., 2011, Arabia-Eurasia continental collision: Insights from late Tertiary foreland-basin evolution in the Alborz Mountains, northern Iran: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 123, no. 1-2, p. 106-131.
Ballato, P., Mulch, A., Landgraf, A., Strecker, M. R., Dalconi, M. C., Friedrich, A., and Tabatabaei, S. H., 2010, Middle to late Miocene Middle Eastern climate from stable oxygen and carbon isotope data, southern Alborz mountains, N Iran: Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 300, no. 1-2, p. 125-138.
Baran, R., Guest, B., and Friedrich, A. M., 2010, High-resolution spatial rupture pattern of a multiphase flower structure, Rex Hills, Nevada: New insights on scarp evolution in complex topography based on 3-D laser scanning: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 122, no. 5-6, p. 897-914.
Friedrich, A., 2010, Leopold-von-Buch Medal awarded to Prof. Dr. Tanya Atwater. Zeitschrift Der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Geowissenschaften, v. 161, no. 2, p. 112-112.
Landgraf, A., Ballato, P., Strecker, M. R., Friedrich, A., Tabatabaei, S. H., and Shahpasandzadeh, M., 2009, Fault-kinematic and geomorphic observations along the North Tehran Thrust and Mosha Fasham Fault, Alborz mountains Iran: implications for fault-system evolution and interaction in a changing tectonic regime: Geophysical Journal International, v. 177, no. 2, p. 676-690.
Rezaei, K., Guest, B., Friedrich, A., Fayazi, F., Nakhaei, M., Aghda, S. M. F., and Beitollahi, A., 2009a, Soil and sediment quality and composition as factors in the distribution of damage at the December 26, 2003, Bam area earthquake in SE Iran (M (s)=6.6): Journal of Soils and Sediments, v. 9, no. 1, p. 23-32.
Rezaei, K., Guest, B., Friedrich, A., Fayazi, F., Nakhaei, M., Beitollahi, A., and Aghda, S. M. F., 2009b, Feed forward neural network and interpolation function models to predict the soil and subsurface sediments distribution in Bam, Iran: Acta Geophysica, v. 57, no. 2, p. 271-293.
Ballato, P., Nowaczyk, N. R., Landgraf, A., Strecker, M. R., Friedrich, A., and Tabatabaei, S. H., 2008, Tectonic control on sedimentary facies pattern and sediment accumulation rates in the Miocene foreland basin of the southern Alborz mountains, northern Iran: Tectonics, v. 27, no. 6.
Cloetingh, S. A. P. L., Ziegler, P. A., Bogaard, P. J. F., Andriessen, P. A. M., Artemieva, I. M., Bada, G., van Balen, R. T., Beekman, F., Ben-Avraham, Z., Brun, J. P., Bunge, H. P., Burov, E. B., Carbonell, R., Facenna, C., Friedrich, A., Gallart, J., Green, A. G., Heidbach, O., Jones, A. G., Matenco, L., Mosar, J., Oncken, O., Pascal, C., Peters, G., Sliaupa, S., Soesoo, A., Spakman, W., Stephenson, R. A., Thybo, H., Torsvik, T., de Vicente, G., Wenzel, F., Wortel, M. J. R., and Grp, T.-E. W., 2007, TOPO-EUROPE: The geoscience of coupled deep Earth-surface processes: Global and Planetary Change, v. 58, no. 1-4, p. 1-118.
Bartley, J.M., Glazner, A.F., Coleman, D.S., Kylander-Clark, A., Mapes, R., Friedrich, A.M., 2007, Large Laramide dextral offset across Owens Valley, California, and its possible relation to tectonic unroofing of the southern Sierra Nevada. SPECIAL PAPERS-GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA, vol. 434 pp. 129
Stein, S., Friedrich, A., and Newman, A., 2005, Dependence of possible characteristic earthquakes on spatial sampling: Illustration for the Wasatch seismic zone, Utah: Seismological Research Letters, v. 76, no. 4, p. 432-436. Bennett, R. A., Friedrich, A. M., and Furlong, K. P., 2004, Codependent histories of the San Andreas and San Jacinto fault zones from inversion of fault displacement rates: Geology, v. 32, no. 11, p. 961-964.
Bennett, R.A., Friedrich, A.M., Furlong, K. 2004, Codependent histories of the San Andreas and San Jacinto fault zones from inversion of fault displacement rates, Geology, v. 32; no. 11; p. 961–964; doi: 10.1130/G20806.1.
Friedrich, A. M., Lee, J., Wernicke, B. P., and Sieh, K., 2004, Geologic context of geodetic data across a Basin and Range normal fault, Crescent Valley, Nevada: Tectonics, v. 23, no. 2. Niemi, N. A., Wernicke, B. P., Friedrich, A. M., Simons, M., Bennett, R. A., and Davis, J. L., 2004, BARGEN continuous GPS data across the eastern Basin and Range province, and implications for fault system dynamics: Geophysical Journal International, v. 159, no. 3, p. 842-862.
Wernicke, B., Davis, J. L., Bennett, R. A., Normandeau, J. E., Friedrich, A. M., and Niemi, N. A., 2004, Tectonic implications of a dense continuous GPS velocity field at Yucca Mountain, Nevada: Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth, v. 109, no. B12.
Niemi, N. A., Wernicke, B. P., Friedrich, A. M., Simons, M., Bennett, R. A., and Davis, J. L., 2004, BARGEN continuous GPS data across the eastern Basin and Range province, and implications for fault system dynamics: Geophysical Journal International, v. 159, no. 3, p. 842-862.
Bennett, R. A., Wernicke, B. P., Niemi, N. A., Friedrich, A. M., and Davis, J. L., 2003, Contemporary strain rates in the northern Basin and Range province from GPS data: Tectonics, v. 22, no. 2.
Friedrich, A. M., Wernicke, B. P., Niemi, N. A., Bennett, R. A., and Davis, J. L., 2003, Comparison of geodetic and geologic data from the Wasatch region, Utah, and implications for the spectral character of Earth deformation at periods of 10 to 10 million years: Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth, v. 108, no. B4.
Friedrich, A. M., and Bartley, J. M., 2003, Three-dimensional structural reconstruction of a thrust system overprinted by postorogenic extension, Wah Wah thrust zone, southwestern Utah: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 115, no. 12, p. 1473-1491.
Wernicke, B., Friedrich , A. M., Niemi, N. A., Bennett, R.A., Davis, J. L. , 2000, Dynamics of plate boundary fault systems from Basin and Range Geodetic Network (BARGEN) and geologic data, Geological Society of America Today, v. 10, no. 11, p. 1 - 7.
Friedrich, A. M., Bowring, S. A., Martin, M. W., and Hodges, K. V., 1999a, Short-lived continental magmatic arc at Connemara, western Irish Caledonides: Implications for the age of the Grampian orogeny: Geology, v. 27, no. 1, p. 27-30.
Friedrich, A. M., Hodges, K. V., Bowring, S. A., and Martin, M. W., 1999b, Geochronological constraints on the magmatic, metamorphic and thermal evolution of the Connemara Caledonides, western Ireland: Journal of the Geological Society, v. 156, p. 1217-1230.
Coleman, D.S., Bartley, J.M., Walker, J.D., Price, D.E., Friedrich, A.M.,1997, Extensional faulting, footwall deformation and plutonism in the Mineral Mountains, southern Sevier Desert. Brigham Young University Geology Studies, vol. 42 pp. 203-234.