Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Tuition, Fees, Housing, and Cost of Living

Beginning in Winter Semester 2013/2014, there will be no tuition charged. The following fees will still be charged each semester:

  • Basic Fee: 52 EUR (formerly Studentenwerksbeitrag). No waiver possible. Failure to pay on time results in exmatriculation of the student.
  • Student Transit Pass fee: 59 EUR (mandatory basic fee for restricted use, can be upgraded to full use with additional 141 EUR). Only students with severe disabilities may ask for a waiver of this fee, by submitting an application to the University.

These fees are charged for Bachelor and Master programs and for foreign and domestic students alike.  

Munich is one of the most attractive and popular cities in Germany. Unfortunately this makes it also one of the most expensive as far as costs of living are concerned. Typical costs are:

  • 350 - 400 EUR minimum for private housing, in shared apartments
  • 50 - 200 EUR for basic health insurance (depending on income)

Therefore please calculate no less than 800 EUR per month for costs of living, once you add food and items like phone bills. LMU suggests students calculate 800 - 1,000 EUR per month to be on the safe side, just for basic living costs (with no extras included, e.g. traveling, entertainment, clothing, etc.).


Dorm spaces are limited, and most students in Munich live in private accommodations. Information about application for dorms, and where to find sources of private housing, can be found at the students union (Studentenwerk). Be aware that September is a bad month to look for housing, due to both the large number of new student arrivals, and the overlap with the Oktoberfest. The Oktoberfest also drives up prices of temporary lodging to unreasonable levels, and reduces the number of available rooms of any kind to almost zero for several weeks. Students are strongly advised to either arrange for long-term accommodations well before coming to Munich, or at least reserve temporary accommodation (e.g. youth hostel) several months in advance. Student housing is managed exclusivley by the students union. LMU does not provide any kind of accommodations for students.


Geology and the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences do not offer scholarships or other financial aid. There might be the possibility to work as a student worker (HiWi) with us, but this depends on job openings being available. Because often such jobs are teaching assistantships in undergraduate courses, which are taught in German and which at times involve field trips, being fluent in German and being able to drive vans increase your chances of getting a job. 

If you are an international student from the University of Utah (USA), University of Arizona (USA), or University of Alberta (CAN), coming as part of the official exchange program between your university and LMU, please inquire with us about the possibility of working as a student assistant during your semester here. Such inquiries should be sent directly to Prof. Dr. Anke Friedrich at

For more information on scholarships for international students please see the webpages of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The DAAD database contains a listing of both DAAD scholarships, and some scholarships sponsored by other organizations. The best time to inform yourself about scholarships is well before you even apply for admission to the Master program, because you may be required to apply before entering Germany, or up to a year before actually beginning your studies. Foreign students who have been residing in Germany for more than about 15 months at the time of application are usually not eligible for DAAD scholarships.